CALCULATING THE MEAN #6--KEY
1) James counted the votes in the Student Council Election. twenty 3rd graders voted, twenty two 4th graders voted, twenty two 5th graders voted, and thirty 6th graders voted.† What is the mean number of votes that were cast in each grade?
94/4 = A mean of 23. 5 votes cast per grade
2) During the basketball season, the Chargers won by 12 points in their first game, 4 points in the second game, 2 points in the third game, 2 points in the fourth game, and 12 points in the last game.† Find the mean number of points that the Chargers won by each game.
32/5 = A mean of 6.4 points per game
3) Dylan measured the shoe size of his classmates.† The first three students had a shoe size of 8 inches, the next six students had a shoe size of 6, and the last student had a shoe size of 10.5.† Find the mean shoe size of the students that Dylan measured.
70.5/10 = A mean of 7.05 inches
4) Jennifer recorded the following high temperatures while researching her science project:† 90 degrees on Oct. 4, 75 degrees from Oct. 5-7, and 80 degrees for the final two days of the project.† What was the mean temperature that she recorded?
395/5 = A mean of 79 degrees per day
5) Emma had $200 in her checking account.† She spent half of that on Monday.† She spent $10 each day from Tuesday-Saturday.† Then she spent $18 on Sunday.† What is the mean amount that she spent each day?
168/7 = A mean of $24 per day
6) John ran listened to four songs in row.† The first song was 4 minutes long, and the next two songs were 3 minutes long.† The last song was 6 minutes long, but John turned it off halfway through the song.† What was the mean length of time that John spent listening to each song?
13/4 = A mean of 3.25 minutes per song
7) Samuel was reading a 200 page book.† The first night, he read half of the book.† The second night, he read half as many pages as he did the night before.† On the third night, he took a break and didnít read any pages.† On the fourth night, he finished the rest of the book.† What was the mean number of pages he read each night?
200/4 = A mean of 50 pages per night